Saturday 22 July 2017

New BAMF Podcast. Talking to Dan Abnett about the 13th Doctor, Aquaman and Captain Chronos (among other things)

Here is the link to the new BAMF podcast

https://mikelaff.podbean.com/e/dan-abnett-talks-dr-who-aquaman-captain-kronos/

and the YouTube video can be found here

https://youtu.be/KV64__Q4xjo

An Interesting thing came up during this discussion. I said that it would be interesting to see if the new Doctor being a woman will steer more girls into watching the show, but steer more boys away from it. Dan Disagreed and said that he thinks the will be virtually no loss.

Now I'm getting old, back when I was a kid it seemed to me that boys were marketed He-Man and Transformers and girls were marketed My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake. I never even considered that because Doctor Who was a sci-fi "boys show" that girls would even be interested in it, but we didn't have the internet back then and pretty much your whole observation of a shows fandom was "if your friend liked it".

This changed throughout my life when I started to meet women who loved Farscape or Buffy or anime with as much passion as I did for Doctor Who but even now I'm still only learning 24 years after leaving school that there were girls that loved Star Trek: the Next Generation as much as I did.

So now I'm hoping I'm wrong. I'm hoping that kids these days just see that the Doctor offers them adventure and excitement and tells them about understanding and tolerance and everything else the Doctor stands for whether he is currently in the form of a male or female.



No comments:

Post a Comment